Thursday, April 6, 2017

DVD Review ~ Story Tellers: An Evening with Colorful Characters

Story Tellers: An Evening with Colorful CharactersOn cold night in the Utah Territory, three opinionated men seemingly by chance find themselves sharing a campfire as they tell tales, swap insults, and expound on their personal beliefs and philosophies. However, one of the men is not there by mere coincidence. Join Porter Rockwell, Mark Twain, and J. Golden Kimball for an entertaining and intriguing evening with three of the most colorful characters of the Old West.

My thoughts:  This DVD surprised me.  My thoughts were that it would be nice to watch a story that could inspire me, pass a few moments being entertained.  I didn't expect it to be as good as it was.

I knew that it would be three men from history sitting around the campfire swapping stories.  That is what the premise of the story is.  I was inspired.  I laughed.I got to know more about each of the men's stories and families.  This is a family friendly film, so I wondered how they would portray J. Golden Kimball's swearing dilemma.  It was a lot like Yosemite Sam.  Hilarious.

My biggest take away was the description of life during the 1800's.  Life as a  riverboat captain, life in a pioneer community, and life as fugitives running from religious persecution.  The practice of polygamy was also explained.

This felt like it could have happened.  There is something about a camp fire that brings out the story telling in everyone.  We listen and share.  I thought the actors did a wonderful job of portraying their characters.  The whole film was well done.

This does contain religious content.  J. Golden Kimball and Porter Rockwell were early believers in the LDS (Mormon) faith.  There is also a lot of mumbled swearing.  Good for the whole family.

Source:  I received a copy of the film from the publisher.  The thoughts and opinions expressed are honest.
Rating: 5 of 5 stars



Online Purchase Links:





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review Lisa. Like you, I was very surprised with how much I enjoyed this film. It's a good package of inspiring messages coupled with laugh out loud moments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Each and every one is read and appreciated.
Have a wonderful day.